Shopping for sex toys has never been more fun!
Why – the many benefits to sex aides
- You can learn to have better orgasms
- Add variety to your sex life
- For all my solo sisters out there, sex toys will give you a sex life
- Live out your fantasies – those steamy hunks will come right off those Harlequin pages and into your bedroom
- Practice practice practice for when you need to show off your new skills and reel him in
Dildos are the most common sex toys today
- Basic dildos (non moving and non vibrating) come in all shapes and sizes and materials, they’re basically a replica in the shape of a penis, long and slender,
- They’ve evolved from a basic beginner’s pink plastic phallus to a large purple fist
- Interactive dildos, like the iconic dildo of the century – the Rabbit, which rotates in multiple directions with multiple speeds, and has a band of moving beads trapped inside the dildo that can move simultaneously, or independently, from the rest of the dildo
- Strap on dildos (for when you want to to swap genders with your new flavor of the month)
Vibrators are another huge hit – even if you can’t orgasm with a partner, you CAN with a vibrator
- There are clit vibrators and vaginal vibrators
- A bullet is more of a clit vibrator, is small and held against the clit to produce an orgasm
- A wand is a much larger form of a bullet
- A G-Spot wand is more like a vaginal vibrator and is shaped so that once it goes inside the vagina it vibrates against the g-spot
- Panty vibrators are designed to fit inside the panty, or around the panty, and can be controlled via a remote (either battery powered, rechargeable, or connected via a cord) all fun and handy when you want to take your play more public, like to dinner
Back end bliss –
- Anal beads – the darker ones are better, and no cloth, string or fabric, for obvious reasons
- Anal trainers – these are various sizes from small finger diameters all the way up up and up
- Butt plugs – some are glamourous, with crystal embellishments, others have pony tails protruding from the end (for those times when you want to up your kink a few notches)
Kegel enhancers –
- Ben Wa balls – various sized balls that are inserted into the vagina and worn for various lengths of time, the vagina walls involuntarily clamp down to keep them held inside
- Weights – small marbles that are intended to be used in graduating weights, the heavier they are, the more the vagina has to work to keep them inside
Pussy pump –
- Just what it sounds like, you suction cup your pussy inside and start pumping, eventually your lips swell and engorge with blood, heightening the sensitivity
Fuck machine –
- A top notch hard core dildo contraption. A moving machine that can be electronically adjusted to go fast or slow, you get the idea.
On the more kinky side –
- Nipple clamps
- Spreader bars – to keep the ankles and wrists spread far apart
- Clit or nipple piercings
- Nipple shields or clit jewelry – for those who don’t want to punch holes in your most private girly parts
Sex swings, sex pillows –
- Sex swings – door version, hanging version, self-standing version, and the body version, just make sure it’s set up properly!
- Sex pillow – hard wedges that prop the body up for easy access
Or you can go the more organic route –
Selecting your sex toys –
- The most important detail is size
- Too little and well, what’s the point
- Too big and it hurts
- Look for something that is close to your most ideal penis size! Maybe your last boyfriend, or the guy you like fucking the most, you know, the one who gave you the best and most orgasms, whoever that might be
Materials of sex toys –
- Jelly – inexpensive, somewhat soft, less intimidating, but they’re porous so they’re harder to clean and they stain
- Cyber skin – this magical material feels just like real skin and a real penis, it’s very porous, and it gets sticky when you wash it so beware of pet hair and fuzz, you can stick tit in a baggie with cornstarch
- Silicone – they’re flexible, come in rainbows of colors and sizes, are somewhat soft and they take on the body temperature quickly, some have a spot for a tiny bullet vibrator
- Acrylic- Hard plastic, it’s easy to clean, but it’s hard plastic, enough said
- Glass – very firm and hard, not my favorite but they can be cleaned quickly and easily, and YES!! You can even stick them in the dishwasher!
- I’ve heard of wood ones, but never seen one, maybe organic bamboo is the next movement toward sustainable and recyclable sex toys!
- Battery powered – probably the most common, but don’t get overzealous, I’ve heard horror stories of battery explosions at the most inconvenient times
- Wall plug – the most powerful, but also the most expensive, and there’s a cord that gets in the way
- Rechargeable – not as common, but usually waterproof and leakproof
- Sharing sex toys? Use condoms
Storing your sex toys –
- They don’t need to be kept in an airtight container or anything, but it’s always a good habit to keep them in a little bag, you know, like your do your make up. You never know who might stumble across your nightstand drawer.
Lubricating your sex toys –
- Silicone – long lasting but can’t be used with silicone toys
- Waterbased – safe to use with all sex toys and non irritating, but they dry easy and fast. Stay away from the flavored ones because the sugar sometimes encourages yeast to grow and yeast is only our friend in bread
- Oil based – not good for latex toys or condoms, but long lasting
(my personal favorite – wet platinum because it doesn’t get sticky, it’s a pure high-grade silicone, works under water, and it’s even an FDA accepted medical device)
Cleaning your sex toys
- Make sure you have an anti bacterial cleaning spray
- Alcohol or peroxide isn’t enough, and soap sometimes leaves a residue.
Where to shop for sex toys –
- Sex toy stores are the most tactile because you can actually see, touch, and sample all the things I mentioned above. Even if you don’t make it to one of those massive dildo warehouses in Las Vegas, or the world famous Adult Entertainment Expo where everything in the porn industry is up on display, today you can shop discreetly anywhere the world wide web takes you.
- Online is the next best, and it’s discreet. Amazon is one of my personal favorites.
Because we could all use another sex toy in our lives!
(Image Credit: lalilele13, Fotolia)